Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Family of Four

So we are still grasping the reality that we are parents of 2 kids; two wonderful children. I will say that Franklin has been putting on the dramatics very heavily lately (terrible two's), and Lisette has proven to be a very easy, wonderful baby (just as Franklin was). Franklin’s episodes have everything to do with him not getting everything his way. He sure was spoiled with Grandma Reed here!

We loved having my mom here, especially Franklin. He wanted to do everything she did, be where she was, sleep next to her, eat what she ate; I think you’re getting the idea. He has been adding more words to his vocabulary, and has been utterly fascinated with his sister. He’s been very good with her, and wants to help, even if it’s not needed. We’re very happy that there haven’t been any accidents, and so far no one has been hurt (I should say no one has been hurt with the new addition, I’ll explain my injury later).

Lisette was kept in the Special Care Nursery for 48 hours. Luckily my insurance allowed me to stay that long as well so I could stay in the hospital with her. I was blown away by how great the whole experience was. When we arrived at the hospital, at 1:30 a.m. May 27th, we were nervous we were going to be sent back home. Luckily the staff was very busy that time, so by the time they were going to discharge me, they did one more check, and discovered I had dilated more. When the anesthesiologist came in I jokingly asked if he was going to be my best friend, and he was. After my experience with this epidural I realize that my epidural with Franklin was nothing, a joke! It might as well have been natural child birth.

Back to my story . . . A few hours later they gave me pitosin to speed it up a little (had the same thing with Franklin). Then at 11:20 I could start pushing, and she was here at 11:23 a.m. With Franklin I had to push for 2 hours. I couldn’t believe how easy it was with Lisette! It was amazing! The nurses were great, and my doctor was wonderful; that surprised me as well.

My mom arrived the night we got to take Lisette home. We had intended for her to be able to sleep in Franklin’s room. There were a few nights, and mornings, that Franklin would get out of his bed and crawl into bed with my mom. With her help we were able to sleep more at night, and I was able to take naps during the day; huge help!! Last Sunday I woke up feeling very weak, and feverish. We took me over to the ER and I was diagnosed with a Uterine Infection. Not cool, and I still don’t understand how I keep getting infections!

All last week we had Art City Days; or you could say Springville’s founders’ days/week. We didn’t participate in everything we had originally planned, but we did watch the Hot Air Balloon fest, and went to the carnival Saturday afternoon. Franklin’s first ride was cut very short; he started bawling when it began, only because he was on the ride by himself. Then he got on the carousel with Stephen, but was still too nervous from his previous experience to fully enjoy himself. Stephen and I used the rest of the tickets (didn’t get too many because the rain was threatening to fall) to ride The Zipper. It was fun until we were getting off, and I hit my elbow on the latch. Looked down after we had walked away and noticed I split my skin open in a nice, deep gash. Yeah, still hurts, can’t bend my elbow all the way, and very happy for the invention of liquid bandaides.

Now my mom is back in Arizona, and we are sad she has gone, but very grateful for her help, and the time she spent with us. Don’t forget to look at the new slide show in my previous post for what we’ve been up to over the last 17 days. Yes, Lisette is 17 days old today, June 14th, and has already gained a pound since she was born, and an inch. She’s the size of the average new born, and my original due date is still a week and a half away. And just as a side note, this Thursday Stephen and I will have been married for 5 years!

8 that love us:

Julie said...

Congrats again. Glad to hear that this delivery was easier. I am hoping for something a little easier too, although I can't really complain. Must be so fun to have a new little baby around, I can't wait until ours gets here.

John and Jessica Tilton said...

Happy anniversary! Glad that the delivery was easier. Sounds like we have the same thing, the pregnancies get harder and harder, but the deliveries get easier and easier. I'm so glad to hear you guys are adjusting well to the new addition, she just sounds so sweet. Congrats, again!!!

Heather said...

Holy FIVE years?! That's nuts! Congratulations on the anniversary AND the new addition!

Jana and Brett said...

what a beautiful name! congrats you look great already! good job. :0) happy early 5 years.

Cole and Julie said...

What a blessing a beautiful baby is! My first experience with child birth wasn't great either, why do we have a second and third and so on? Oh, that's right! Beacause they are so dang cute! Congratulations!

J2A2K (darth_ender) said...

It's so fun to see new updates! I love the new picture of your cute little family! I'm sure you're doing great with 2 kids. It can be tough at times, but it's so neat having two little people around with such different personalities. Gosh, I can't believe you'll be married for 5 years! It seems longer! I hope you have a wonderful anniversary!!! :D

Bethany said...

Yay, what a BEAUTIFUL family of 4! That will be us this Monday-- unless they can't get me in to induce me. You give me hope, with your 3 minutes of pushing. It took me 2 hours with Ethan, too!

lbt said...

I am so excited for you! She is really cute.