Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The last stretch

This past weekend was very long, very dramatic, and very exhausting. Franklin has always been a late teether. His first 2 teeth caused a lot of trouble with playing peek a boo and teasing us. His canines, all 4 of them at once, are giving him (and us for that matter) more trouble than the rest of his teeth. He ran fevers all weekend. He'd been waking up in the middle of the night since last Wednesday. Finally, Friday night, poor Stephen is at his wits end. My pains had picked up with a vengeance Thursday night so between Franklin and myself, Stephen is worn out. I told him that the first time Franklin wakes up, just bring him in bed with us.

Friday night was still very long. Franklin would get upset when I had to get up to visit Mrs. Murphy (my Grandma Reed's name for the toilet, always would make me laugh, she has hilarious names for all sorts of things). Saturday wasn't much better. He was burning very hot. Because he had no other flu symptoms I didn't take his temperature. Sunday was hard for both of us. My pains have been making me writhe in pain that the only thing stopping me from going to the hospital was the fact that Franklin hasn't been sleeping well, and he was already in bed. So Monday I spoke with my sister about my dilemma. Franklin slept better with us on Monday night, and he had fewer fevers at that point. We're still struggling to get him to eat solids, but most of you know how hefty he is so we're not too concerned.

So yesterday Stephen and I headed over to our hospital in the afternoon with Franklin in tow. We had packed a bag for him, and a bag for me, just in case and Greta was on stand by to come get him in case we were going to be there a while. It was so wonderful to be listened to, and be taken seriously. They did some tests, and an exam. I am at 34 weeks, and dilated to 3 cm (don't worry, it doesn't mean I'm going to have this baby anytime soon) and I have a bladder infection. Other than the pain from the infection there isn't anything they can do about the rest of my pains, obviously.

Last night was better; less pain, and even though Franklin woke up 3 times, he would put himself back to sleep within minutes. He stayed in his own bed all night, that made us both happy. We are determined to make it at least 2 more weeks for me, and then I'm ending my bed rest. I see my doctor next week for my regular check up, and we'll keep you posted on any changes for me. Franklin hasn't had a fever yet today, and Stephen is able to catch up on sleep again as well.

7 that love us:

Val said...

Oh, my goodness. Goodluck, with everything, hopefully life will get easier for you soon. Hang in there.

Eva said...

Wow! I hope you get the rest you need and that all goes well with the new little one. It's probably a blessing that Franklin is grouchy before the baby rather than after. Then you'd get no sleep between the two of them. Good luck! Love you.

Cole and Julie said...

What a wonderful husband you have! I'm glad that everything is looking up at your house. Just remember that in a few more weeks you will have a newborn to snuggle with and all you worries will be gone. (until Franklin starts teething again). And then when he is done the baby will start :) Life is so fun!

Janiel said...

first of all, bladder infections suck. and on top of that being 80 weeks pregnant? just awful...i hope franklin is a good boy for you despite the teething and bad sleep. Stephen is a great man. i know it and i know you know it. hang in there sweetie! keep that baby cooking as long as you can! love you more that you know!

Tiffany said...

Since there is nothing they can do for your pain I STRONGLY reccomend reading the book Hypnobirthing. Even if you want an epidural during delivery it will help you deal with the pains you are dealing with. I checked it out of the library and used it to deliver Max. It was a great book- you don't have to take the whole thing to heart, just what helps you deal with the pain from these contractions. Good luck you can do it!

John and Jessica Tilton said...

This too shall pass. You're so close, and you will look back on this time as a blur (thank goodness baby brain makes us forget a multitude of things!) And I agree with the earlier posting, it really is a blessing that Franklin is doing this before the baby comes rather than after! You will inevitably have them both up at night at some point in time, but let's save that until the little one is a little bigger!

Bethany said...

Good luck with everything. I hope you make it!