Monday, May 19, 2008

The man has to have his water

This last week everyone has been sick in our house. Franklin's nose runs, and his eyes started to get a little goopy. I discovered that as long as he didn't cry his eyes would be clear. So I've spent the last 3 days making sure he doesn't cry at all. As a result I'm trying to catch up on sleep when he does. Stephen has had a cold all week as well. We're hoping that we all kick what we've got within the next day or two since my parents are coming this weekend to visit for a week.

It's hot up here! We've hit the mid-90's this week, and it's also been a little bit humid so it makes it feel more hot. Stephen will be getting the cooler going soon. Unfortunately we happen to live in a home that has a swamp cooler. And all swamp coolers up here are very little. Hopefully it'll still do it's job. I remember visiting Heidi and Inga the summer after I graduated high school, and we were cooking something in the kitchen. It was so stinkin' hot it almost seems like "who would EVER cook in the summer, and risk making the entire house hotter!" I expirenced that feeling last night, after dinner.

We had a late dinner, Stephen was on call this weekend, and spent most of the afternoon yesterday in Sandy. After dinner I decided to bake some cookie dough we made the night before. It was just past 9:00, and the kitchen didn't feel cooler till 10:00. I've realized that when it starts to heat up outside not to have any windows open. Because we are in a basement it stays cooler down here if we don't open any windows during the heat, but at night I love to have our bedroom window open, feels so much cooler. We're supposed to get rain towards the end of this week, and I'm really looking forward to it. I know Stephen isn't, only because the hotter it gets the more work he'll have.

Franklin's two bottom teeth are coming up very slowly, and he has lost his appetite, for the most part. I feel sorry for him because I have to let him get starving in order to feed him anything. He'll still take a bottle with ease, but I have to wait to feed him anything else or it just becomes a mess; he'll knock the spoon out of my hand, or push it away, and he'll cry if you fight him for too long. Since I'm trying not to let him cry (because of his eyes) I've decided that even though I know he's a little hungry, he just has to REALLY want it before I feed him. Of course at that point you can't feed him fast enough. Franklin is also a very quick little boy. Everything is so exciting for him. He loves the cats water dish (I have to put up the food dish), and as long as I'm right there (usually doing the dishes, so I'm 2 feet away) I'll let him slash in it, and make a mess. All I have to do is lay down a towel.

Franklin also loves shower-baths. We put his tub in the back of the bath, and run the shower on lower pressure. His tub fills up, and he just loves the water slashing around him, and he's figured out sticking out his tongue and drinking the water from the shower. He could probably stay in his shower-bath for an hour if we let him (haven't gone even half as long so I'm probably over exaggerating). We have let it go a little longer than usual letting the room steam up to help clear his congestion. He has loved it.

1 that love us:

Sam and Heidi said...

I remember those hot cookin' days. After living in a lot of hot houses that grilling outside is the way to go. Sam's father even proved to us that he could cook a spaghetti dinner on the grill (kind of like cooking on a gas burner--a really big gas burner).

Happy cooking!