Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Just us adults

This last Friday Stephen and I had some friends over for a "How to Host a Murder" party. Whitney helped me prepare a lot for it, which was a huge help since I usually have no one helping, and I typically have 2 weeks to prepare. I had less than a week, and at the last second I was one couple short. I'm so grateful for Kyle Lauritzen coming to my rescue and was the guy. I ended up becoming two characters which ended up being harder than it already sounds because the two women characters had beef about the other, so obviously I knew stuff that I shouldn't but also ended up not sharing with the rest of the group because how does one accuse one-self; I was already looking crazy. That's why I announced at the beginning that I was going to schizophrenic.

It ended up being a blast, and lasting very late! I started it late because I wanted Franklin to be asleep before we began but he must have caught on that something was up because he refused to go to sleep till after 9:00. It was crazy trying to get someone to fill in last minute, but Kyle was great, and it was great to see him again. I don't think we've seen each other since EAC graduation 2005.

So explain my title I came to a realization that all I ever post about is Franklin. Just the other day my VT was over and as we got into deep discussion (I completely admire her, BTW) I remembered something I promised myself before Franklin was born. Stephen and I went through so much heartache and hurt before Franklin came that I was determined to always remember that no matter who you are, what you do, say, or look like, there will be something about you (say, do, etc) that may hurt someones feelings. 98% of the things we end up hurting someone about we will never know, and therefore you must realize, especially if you've been hurt, that it is ENTIRELY unintentional.

In that time we couldn't conceive the littlest things would hurt me deeply, and when a person hurts, that person starts seeing it EVERYWHERE which makes it worse. Franklin has been a miracle more than any of you will ever know, or understand. Most of the pain went away, only because I promised that I would always remember what it was like, and do my best to be there for others through their pain. Just as an individual has a trial in their life to learn a lesson, they should do well to never forget that trial so that their lesson will always be remembered, and they may be able to help another for that very reason.

I've learned something important this past year that we have lived here (that's right, on October 6th it will be exactly a year since we moved here). People talk about what it most important in life, and the answers vary greatly. But there is one important thing that every being must have, and it does not matter what nationality, religion, political standing, age, gender, or any other differences you may have, and that one thing is a friend. The friendships that we make in life, and most importantly the friendships that we keep throughout all trials, will always make us feel loved, important and needed.

I know, some of you may say family, but think about it: true, you can't choose your family, but you can choose your friends. Yes, you'll always have family a letter, email, or phone call away no matter where you go, but friends aren't always as easy to keep or stay in close contact with. But the greatest thing to remember that if you're friends with your family then that's a treasure in itself. Stephen and I were first best friends, and as long as we always have that then nothing can take us apart.

I have a best friend, Janiel, and though we are both extremely sad to be so far apart, we continue to remain best friends. Some of my best friends I consider family, and thank goodness my sisters are also my best friends. I am also grateful that we have been able to make friends here in our very own neighborhood. Yes, I love Franklin, and he means so much to me, and yes, he is my life, but I have not forgotten the pain and heartache we went through before he came. I am grateful that I was able to keep such great friends during that time, though I will always regret that wasn't as a great a friend in return. Now I know that Franklin does steal the show, so I will write a separate blog to talk about what he's been up to.

4 that love us:

Brenden+Nikki said...

You do have an awesome family and I have always loved the relationship you have with your sisters. And you are so right about the friendships!! Once you get older, you realize who your real friends were growing up. It makes me wish I knew then what I know now! Then I could have worked on establishing better friendships with the people who really counted and gotten to know them better.

I'm sorry to hear that it was tough for you before you had Franklin. I'm not a mom yet but I'm so excited to be one that I can see how not being able to conceive right away would be so hard. I can't even imagine. But you're strong - I can tell. And it sounds like you and your husband have a very close special relationship and that is an awesome blessing too!

You are such a great person Lisl!!

Anonymous said...

You just keep posting about that cute boy! I totally know what its like to want a baby so bad and go for months or years of not getting him/her (or in my case them). I somtimes feel like I post way to much about my kids, but they mean the world to me and I never take a day for granted. I love them and since my blog is like my journal, I want them to know that too!
As for friends, I agree!! I had a few friends that helped me through it all, but I think the best friend I had was my husband! Truly, our realtionship grew so much during that time!

Bethany said...

Wow, what a fun party. Wish I could've flown up there for it:)

I know what you mean about always posting about your kid. I do the same thing-- because he really is the most interesting part of my life right now. I do, occasionally (like my last post) throw in something about myself or someone else. Gotta toss it up a bit!

Janiel said...

you know i love you sister! you mean the world to me! i will save the rest of the sappy words for an e-mail...I LOVE YOU!!!